My T21 Birth Story.

Wednesday, February 19, 2020

I feel pregnant at 15 years old.
My pregnancy was very normal, horrible morning sickness, mood swings and cravings. absolutely nothing was out of the ordinary. I had some iron issues and a little bit of pre eclampsia towards the end but nothing pointed towards down syndrome, nothing had been bought to my attention anyway.

He was very active inside the womb constantly kicking and having fun, always making himself known and the centre of attention, that definitely hasn't changed now!

Some point around 36 weeks he moved into the breech position, Its when baby is feet first instead of head first. I tried ALL of the exercises my midwife gave me, he would not budge at all.

I was 37+1 weeks and was due to go in for an ultrasound to see if he'd successfully turned. I walked out of that room very much confused. Being so young for some reason every technician, dr or nurse never fully discussed with me what was going on. But from what I was told William was still in breech position, he was measuring small for his gestation and my body was slightly contracting (I thought it was braxton hicks), his heart wasn't coping with it.

After such a somewhat peaceful pregnancy and now having so many issues I honestly didn't know what to think.
I was admitted into the maternity ward where I was kept for the rest of the day being monitored, then to be told later on that I was going to be induced the next morning for a vaginal birth.

On the 2nd of July 2014 at around 9am I was rushed to surgery for an emergency c section. Unfortunately my contractions were getting a lot worse and he wasn't coping to well.

I went in expecting a "normal" c section, I was going to stay awake for it and Williams father was going to be in the room. But unfortunately that didn't happen. While I was getting the epidural done my midwife and surgeon were arguing because she (midwife) wanted to hold me and make sure a I was calm while the epidural went in. while this happened something didn't go quite right and the nurse (or whoever does the epidural) some how didn't get it done correctly. I felt it go down my left leg but everything else still felt the same, I let every one in the room know this. 

Once I was in the room I was lifted onto the table and they begin preparing for surgery, this next part is something I remember so distinctly and its probably one of the only things I haven't forgotten from this experience. The surgeon came up beside me, asked me how I was feeling and pinched my stomach. He asked me if I could feel anything, I could. I told him it felt like a pinch. And despite me telling him that they went ahead. 

I felt them cut into me. It is hands down the most traumatic feeling I've ever experienced. I started shaking and crying on the table, I tried to get up but the nurses were holding me down. It felt like hours when really it was probably 49 seconds max. I remember looking up at the nurse crying while she gave me the anaesthesia.

At 9:52am William was born, weighing 2085 grams (5lb 9oz).

William was rushed out of surgery to the nursery as he needed oxygen and was a lot smaller than expected.

After I woke up they wheeled me to the nursery to show me my beautiful boy, I was very sleepy and completely out of it. They laid him on my chest, I remember thinking about how small he was and how beautiful his puffy little eyes were.

From the moment I laid my eyes on him I knew he had Down Syndrome.

The next few days were a complete blur, the doctors told me they were sending tests away to see if he did have genetic disorder. Apart from being told that no one spoke about it at all.

Three days later the results were back, I was sitting on my hospital bed with all my family around me. The doctors stood at the door and gave us the news. Everyone started crying, we all knew before we heard those words but the results made it official.

A day or two after the diagnosis William was flown to John hunter hospital, he had low blood platelets and needed a blood transfusion. He was monitored there for about two weeks before being sent back to Tamworth base.

He was finally given the all clear to go home on the 13th of August weighing 2595 grams.

I wish I could go back to the day of his diagnosis and hug everyone, tell them the diagnosis didn't matter.

He is nothing like the doctors said he would be, and that is where they go wrong. Yes he has down syndrome and will have some difficulties in life. But he is NOT down syndrome. he is a wonderful little boy that is capable of anything he puts his mind too.

His disability does not define him.

First day of school.

You Might Also Like


Popular Posts